Service & Maintenance Staff
Henderson Campus Center
Popular Places to Chill
- The Campus Center
- Grounds for Change
Coffeehouse on Campus
Grounds for Change
Movie Theater on Campus
None, but sometimes GAP (Gator Activities Programming) or other organizations show movies in Shafer Auditorium.
Recent "green" initiatives include rain gardens, environmental community art, a comprehensive composting program, a green roof, LEED-certified construction, geo-exchange heating and cooling, porous parking lots, and a campus-wide energy challenge. Allegheny also has a Sustainability House on campus.
- The "Coffee House": Grounds for Change
- ARGO: Allegheny Role-playing and Gaming Organization
- ASG: Allegheny Student Government
- Brooks Walk: The sidewalk that leads up to Brooks Hall
- FS: Freshman Seminar, a required class that is supposed to prepare you for college academics
- GFC: Stands for Grounds for Change, the campus coffee shop/café; popular place for studying, poetry slams, and small concerts
- Munch: A part of the meal plan that's basically used like cash
- Senior Circle: Where the glass sculptures are by the Campus Center
- Senior Comp: A semester-long project completed by seniors, required in order to graduate
- 13th Plank: There is a little bridge in the middle of campus. Tradition says that if an upperclassman kisses a freshman girl on the 13th Plank, she cannot date anyone but upperclassmen from then on. Every year, the freshmen take the plank away.
- Burning of the Comps: During senior week, the seniors get together to burn their comps as a sign that they are free from all of the work.
- Fall Break: Allegheny doesn't celebrate any national holiday. Classes are never canceled for something like Presidents' Day or Columbus Day, and all the snow never cancels classes, either. The only break in classes (besides spring break and winter break) is fall break, which falls on no holiday whatsoever and is only a long weekend.
- Hut-a-thon: Habitat for Humanity builds a hut on North Main Street every year and camps out there for a weekend to raise money and awareness about homelessness.
- SAMS: Every year there is a dance competition to raise money for Multiple Sclerosis.
- Senior Week: The week between the end of finals and graduation is known as Senior Week, and it includes a bar tour, a casino night, and many other activities.
- Springfest: Right around spring break, the school gets bands and comedians to come to campus (although it's usually more of an excuse to get drunk than anything else).
- Wingfest: Every year, the school buys a bunch of wings from Quaker Steak and Lube and students get to eat for free. There is live music and everybody hangs out on Brooks Lawn.
- According to legend, alum William McKinley coaxed a cow up three flights of stairs into Bentley's bell tower. While cows can go up stairs, they have trouble going down them. Apparently, the cow needed to be brought down "one steak at a time."
- Brooks Hall is haunted.
- Caflisch Memorial Hall is haunted.
- Oddfellows is haunted.
Favorite Things To Do
On campus, students love to attend Centerstage events or movies in Shafer Auditorium. The school and student organizations also bring guest speakers, poets, artists, dancers, musicians, comedians, and even magicians to campus. Sometimes local or college bands play in Grounds for Change, too.
Clubs and Organizations on Campus
Most students are involved in at least one organization on campus. The community service organizations are especially popular.
Student Activities Offered
- Campus ministries
- Choral groups
- Concert band
- International student organization
- Jazz band
- Literary magazine
- Model UN
- Music ensembles
- Musical theater
- Radio station
- Student government
- Symphony orchestra
- Television station
Air Force ROTC: No
Navy ROTC: No
Army ROTC: No
Did You Know?
Allegheny College has more than 100 student-run organizations.