Service & Maintenance Staff
Alverno College Library
Popular Places to Chill
- The Commons
- The Mug Coffeehouse & Café
Coffeehouse on Campus
The Mug Coffeehouse in the basement of Austin Hall
Movie Theater on Campus
None, but movies are sometimes shown on campus for special events.
The College has hosted forums on sustainability, so it's a growing concern within the community.
- Convocation: At the beginning of each semester, all incoming students are brought together to listen to a speaker who welcomes them to Alverno. One of the graduating students from that semester speaks, as well. It feels kind of like a graduation ceremony for incoming students. There is a reception held afterward.
- Rotunda Ball: This is an annual December dance that is put on by the PAGE Board. There is usually a chocolate fountain, as well as other yummy treats. It is essentially a glorified prom.
- Wing Wars: Each fall semester hosts Homecoming Week. The biggest event during this week is the Wing Wars. Students are given a theme from Student Services and decorate their hallways according to that theme. At the end of the week, students are judged by various alumnae, faculty, and staff. The wing with the most creative interpretation is given a prize party.
- Some say that once you go to Alverno, you become a lesbian, which is false.
- There's a rumor that Alverno isn't a real college because it doesn't have a traditional grading scale.
Favorite Things To Do
There is always something going on, so there is never an excuse to be bored on campus! Each year, The Mug has a student version of "American Idol" called "Alverno Idol." For three or four weeks, students compete in front of judges and are voted on by their peers, and the winner gets a cash prize. This event has a huge draw, and the women who sing are extremely talented! You can also check out a play; theatre productions take place at the Mug Coffeehouse and Pitman Theatre. There are usually activities in the dorms because the community advisers are required to do two programs a month. Past events have included baking holiday cookies, self-defense workshops, movie nights, and craft nights. All of these events are publicized primarily in the residence halls. If you'd like to do something more educational, check out a weekly roundtable discussion, which is where faculty, students, and staff meet to discuss a topic. Sometimes the topic is political or about changes or events coming to Alverno. It is a great place for students to listen to other people's opinions and help develop their own ideas without having to do a ton of research.
Clubs and Organizations on Campus
There are approximately 30 active organizations on campus. However, if a certain club isn't available, students can start their own club if they'd like to!
Student Activities Offered
- Campus ministries
- Choral groups
- International student organization
- Literary magazine
- Model UN
- Music ensembles
- Radio station
- Student government
- Student newspaper
Air Force ROTC: Yes
Navy ROTC: No
Army ROTC: No