Full-Time Student Population
Part-Time Student Population
Full-Time Instructional Faculty
Part-Time Instructional Faculty
Full-Time Retention Rate
Part-Time Retention Rate
- Associate degree
- Bachelor's degree
- Master's degree
Continuing Professional: No
Adult Basic Remedial: No
Secondary (High School): No
Most Popular Majors
- Business Administration and Management: Unknown
- Criminal Justice and Safety Studies: Unknown
- Educational/Instructional Technology: Unknown
- Information Technology: Unknown
Special Study Options
Distance Learning Opportunities: Yes
Study Abroad: No
Weekend/Evening College: No
Teacher Certification: No
The classes at AIU Online are pretty similar to each other in structure, and they are usually only five weeks long. The IM feature, discussion boards, group projects, and clubs allow students to interact with each other and with professors. Even though everything is online, this gives it a personal feel.
AIU Online instructors are, for the most part, very interested in the success of their students. It is very easy to talk to them, they give helpful feedback on assignments, and they show compassion when students need extensions due to personal issues.
Testing & Grading Procedures
Tests are rare, but a few professors do have multiple choice exams. In some cases, you can test out of a class. Each week, the individual project is between 125 to 150 points and the discussion board project is either 50 or 75 points, for a total of 1000 points over the entire five-week course.
Typical Lecture - Single Day
A typical lecture at AIU Online is one hour long. They are held once or twice per week per class. The format is just like a chatroom, but it has a large space for visual aid materials that the instructor can use.
Typical Course - Start to Finish
In short, a typical class is five weeks long, and each week students must turn in two assignments by Sunday at midnight. Weekly classes are usually held at night once or twice a week, accompanied by a lot of student interaction on the discussion board and during the group project.
Things I Wish I Knew Before Coming To School
Most students wished they knew about how expensive classes would be. It's smart to check tuition rates before applying to a school. AIU Online is slightly cheaper than other, comparable institutions.
Tips to Succeed
- Ask questions when you need clarification. Professors are willing to help you.
- Do not procrastinate.
- Have a backup plan in case your computer fails so you don't miss classes. Many people have a public library nearby with free computer access.
- Read the assigned chapters as early in the week as possible.
- Start posting comments to the class discussion board early in the week.
- Utilize all of the school learning resources: free tutoring, free advisors, and multimedia presentations.
African American: 16%
Asian American: 12%
Native American: 0%
Average Faculty Salary