- Almost all AIU Online students think it is very easy to navigate throughout the school Web site.
- Attending class is not required!
Required Tech Skills
Computer and Internet access is a definite requirement, as all work is done on the school Web site. Students must be able to use a keyboard, mouse, and complete average Web navigation. Owning or having access to a printer is a bonus, but not a requirement.
Typical Online Lecture - Single Day
In a typical lecture, the instructor and students all type in a live chat session. Using multimedia links, the instructor can speak over a microphone as well. The instructors hosting these live chats make use of various visual aid resources such as Microsoft PowerPoint, video clips, and their own actual handwriting, all of which are recorded and accessible anytime.
Typical Online Course - Start to Finish
An AIU Online course is exactly five weeks long, starting on a Monday morning at 12 a.m. CST and ending on a Sunday night at 11:59 p.m. CST. Every week, except during group week, there are two assignments: a discussion board where students respond to instructor prompts, and an individual project.
Online Testing & Grading
Testing is a rarity at AIU Online, so most grades are determined by class activities. Most classes have a standard grading system based on a 100-point scale, and letter grades drop every ten percentage points. For instance, a student needs to score better than 90 percent on an assignment to receive an A.
Did You Know?
- Students can take a single test to complete a five week course!
- All completed work, grades, and class chats are recorded and available anytime.
- Class loads can be set up to include one or two classes at a time.
- Microsoft Word 2007 Enterprise is sent to students to help them complete their schoolwork.