Full-Time Student Population
Part-Time Student Population
Full-Time Instructional Faculty
Part-Time Instructional Faculty
Faculty with Terminal Degree
Average Faculty Salary
Full-Time Retention Rate
Part-Time Retention Rate
- Fewer than 20 students: 70%
- 20 to 49 students: 22%
- 50 or more students: 8%
Continuing Professional: No
Adult Basic Remedial: No
Secondary (High School): No
Special Credit Opportunities
Advanced Placement (AP) Credits: Yes
Dual Credit: No
Life Experience Credits: No
Most Popular Majors
- Economics and Econometrics: 5%
- English Language Studies: 6%
- Political Science and Government, General: 4%
- Psychology: 5%
Special Study Options
- Study abroad
- Teacher certification (below the postsecondary level)
Best Places to Study
- Butler Library (Columbia's main library)
- The lawn
Tips to Succeed
- Get a meal plan with fewer meals and more points. You can use points to buy a meal in the dining hall and to buy coffee and snacks at Java City, but you can only use an actual "meal" in the dining hall.
- Take advantage of what New York has to offer. But try to do it in moderation.
- Try to avoid taking more than one course with a lab in a semester. Lab courses tend to demand much more time and effort than other classes.
Did You Know?
- Barnard's number of female professors is twice the national average.
- At Barnard you'll want to check out how many points each class you take is worth. Points are similar to "hours" at other colleges, but they don't always exactly equal the amount of time you spend in class per week.