|Location:||Work remotely from your own computer|
|Length:||1-2 Months (5-10 hours per week)|
|Why:||Get published and gain work experience/exposure|
Interested in becoming a published author? Each semester, College Prowler hires current college students from campuses across the country
to write insider's online guides to their schools. The contributing author position is a unique opportunity for outgoing college
students to gain tremendous exposure, get published, and bolster their portfolio.
Please review our FAQs for any questions you may have.
HOW TO APPLY:
Email email@example.com, with the name of your school in the subject line, briefly expressing your interest. Please also attach a writing sample of your choice and a resume.
Top Reasons to be a College Prowler Author
- Great exposure – Your work will be read by millions of students. Each month more than 750,000 unique visitors check out College Prowler's online guides. In addition, a select number of our most popular schools are also printed in paperback and eBook formats and sold by retailers nationwide!
- Incredible work sample – You are credited as the author to your school's guide, giving you a great work sample for future employers or graduate schools.
- Professional networking – College Prowler authors have gone on to write for major national media publications, author their own books, and work at the most prestigious marketing firms. We’ll connect you with previous CP authors for networking and professional relationship building when you’re done with your project.
- Chance at $1000 Contributing Author Scholarship – Each author who completes the project by the deadline and surveys at least 50 students will be entered for a chance to win a $1000 Contributing Author Scholarship! Winners are chosen three times a year by the CP editorial staff.
- Survey fellow students (in-person and through an online survey) on campus-life topics at your school
- Research and report factual information about your campus
- Write short overviews summarizing student opinions on campus-life topics like Nightlife, Guys & Girls, Academics, and more.
- Currently enrolled at a college or university
- Excellent writing and organizational skills
- Enthusiasm and commitment to the project
- Attention to detail
- Ability to start immediately and devote approximately 5–10 hours/week for 6–8 weeks
What's In It for You?
- Writing exposure
- Resume-building experience
- Networking with previous authors
- Letters of recommendation
- Potential for internship credit
- Chance to win $1000 Contributing Author Scholarship!
Please note that this project is unpaid
Quick Notes about College Prowler:
Started in 2002 by recent Carnegie Mellon grads, College Prowler has revolutionized the college search industry with a "by students for students" approach. Today, College Prowler is the largest U.S. publisher of college content written from the students' perspectives with more than 450 school-specific guides available in print and online. Each year, millions of students turn to College Prowler to help them find the college that suits them best. The company has received coverage in The New York Times, The Washington Post, CNN, The Boston Globe, Reader's Digest, Entrepreneur Magazine, BusinessWeek, and many others.