Fun Local Trivia
- Its official language is French, but most inhabitants are bilingual.
- The prohibition movement in the United States turned Montréal into a haven for Americans looking for alcohol.
- Montréal is home to an underground city with shopping malls, hotels, banks, offices, museums, universities, seven Métro stations, two commuter train stations, a bus terminal, and the Bell Centre hockey arena. Not all of it is actually underground, though.
- Montréal has the highest concentration of post-secondary students of all major cities in North America.
- Montréal is a popular filming location. Major motion pictures that have filmed partly or entirely in Montréal include The Aviator, The Bone Collector, Catch Me If You Can, Cellular, The Day after Tomorrow, Heist, John Q., The Notebook, Rollerball, Secret Window, The Sum of All Fears, and The Terminal. The Jackal, The Whole Nine Yards, and Taking Lives had scenes set in the city.
- Pierre Bouvier - frontman of Simple Plan and songwriter
- Leonard Cohen - poet and singer
- Celine Dion - singer
- Corey Hart - singer
- John Molson - brewing tycoon, railway and steamship line builder
- Sam Roberts - musician
- William Shatner - actor, best known for playing Captain Kirk in "Star Trek"
- Rufus Wainwright - singer/songwriter
- Anglophone: Used to describe English-speaking residents/establishments
- Dépanneur (Dep): Small convenience stores found on nearly every block of the city, best places to buy cheap beer
- Eh?: To be put at the end of a statement to turn it into a question. "It's cold outside, eh?" Mastering the "eh?" is an art form. First Nations people
- Francophone: Commonly used as a noun to refer to the French-speaking residents or establishments
- Keener: Nerd or teacher's pet
- Ma blond: My girlfriend
- Mon chum: My boyfriend
- SAQ: The official, government-regulated liquor stores of Québec; only place to find name brand liquor and fine wines
- Toque: A winter hat (rhymes with puke)
- Trainers: Sneakers
Points of Interest
- Montreal Museum of Fine Art
- Montreal Science Center
- Mount Royal
- Musée d'Art Contemporain de Montréal
- Old Montreal
- Olympic Stadium
- Complexe Dejardins
- Eaton Center
- Place Alexis Nihon
Movie TheatersAMC Forum 22
2313 Rue Sainte-Catherine Ouest
Movie TheatersCinema Banque Scotia Montreal
977 rue Ste. Catherine O., Montreal
Movie TheatersCinema du Parc
3573 Ave. Du Parc
Major Sports Teams
- Montréal Alouettes – CFL: Canadian Football League
- Montréal Canadiens: hockey
Distances to Nearest Major Cities
- Boston: MA: 5 hours, 15 minutes
- Toronto: ON: 6 hours