Full-Time Student Population
Part-Time Student Population
Full-Time Instructional Faculty
Part-Time Instructional Faculty
Faculty with Terminal Degree
Average Faculty Salary
Full-Time Retention Rate
Part-Time Retention Rate
- Fewer than 20 Students: 41%
- 20 to 49 Students: 48%
- 50 or More Students: 11%
Continuing Professional: Yes
Adult Basic Remedial: No
Secondary (High School): No
Special Credit Opportunities
Advanced Placement (AP) Credits: Yes
Dual Credit: Yes
Life Experience Credits: Yes
- Arts and Letters
- Batten College of Engineering and Technology
- Business and Public Administration
- Darden College of Education
- Health Sciences
- Honors College
- University College
- Bachelor's degree
- Doctorate - Professional practice
- Doctorate - Research/scholarship
- Master's degree
- Post-master's certificate
Most Popular Majors
- Business Administration and Management: 3%
- Multi-/Interdisciplinary Studies, Other: 3%
- Psychology: 3%
- Registered Nursing (RN): 3%
Special Study Options
- Distance learning opportunities
- Study abroad
- Teacher certification (below the postsecondary level)
- Weekend/evening college
Best Places to Study
- The Courtyards
- Elliot's Fair Grounds
- ODU's Library
- Webb Center
Tips to Succeed
- Choose classes that are at least somewhat enjoyable. Â
- Don't be afraid to ask questions in classes.
- Get to know your professors.
- Go to class.
- Let professors know if you're having difficulty.
- Mix gen eds with major-specific courses to keep semesters interesting.
- Read the syllabus and keep up with assignments.
- Research your professors on www.rateyourprofessor.com.
Did You Know?
- Old Dominion University was established as the Norfolk division of the College of William & Mary in 1930. In 1962, it finally became an independent institution.
- Interested in environmental justice, our dangerous, ever-changing global climate, or sustainable development? If not, get ready to be. In 2005, Old Dominion University began the NewPAGE (New Portals to Appreciating our Global Environment) course. A requirement of all freshmen,
- the course has stirred controversy amongst incoming students who have blamed professors, and the course in general, of agenda pushing, and find it to be a complete waste of time. Even so, there is no sign of it going away.
- In 1999, Old Dominion University agreed to work with American Maglev to construct a maglev system on campus. It would connect either sides of the University campus and eventually bridge Washington DC to Hampton Roads. Other universities had been chosen for the project as well, but they all declined due to the concerns regarding the project's cost and its safety. Because of inadequate funding, the maglev remains unfinished, and its original 2007 completion date continues to be pushed back.
- Old Dominion University is one of the largest providers of distance-learning degree programs in the country via its Teletechnet initiative. More than 3,000 students have graduated from Old Dominion via distance-learning, including Navy personnel who took classes while being deployed around the world.
- Need some time away from studying and classes? The Lady Monarchs are the University's best-known sports team and, having won three national championships, provide for some excellent entertainment.