Credit Requirements - Full Time
Credit Requirements - Part Time
Average Credits Per Course
Average Course Load - Full Time
Average Course Load - Part Time
Time Investment/Workload - Full Time
Time Investment/Workload - Part Time
Special Credit Opportunities
Advanced Placement (AP) Credits: Yes
Dual Credit: Yes
Life Experience Credits: No
Tips for Earning Credits
- Always confirm that the courses you are going to take will be transferred over to other universities.
- Be organized! If possible, keep a pocket calendar to help track when assignments are due, and write down the dates of tests and quizzes.
- Explore all the resources provided by STC and ask for help if you do not understand something.
- For nursing students, Clinicals help you gain a great deal of hospital experience.
- High school students should take Dual Enrollment Classes. They count as college credit and high school credit.
- If a professor gives extra credit opportunities, take advantage of them. They will, most likely, help you out in the end.
- Pay attention while your professors lecture. Take notes, ask questions, etc.
- Show up to all your classes. It is likely that what you missed when you were absent will be on a test.
- Speak with advisors prior to registering for classes to prevent you from wasting time in classes that are not on your degree plan.
- Study hard! Make sure you carefully go over the notes you have taken during lectures.
STC requires that students take a state-mandated placement test such as the THEA, Accuplacer, or Compass prior to attending STC. Students may be eligible for exemptions or waivers from taking placement tests depending on how they score on their TAKS.
Transferring Credits In & Out
STC requires transcripts from high school and other educational institutions to verify which previous credits are transferable. When registering for classes at STC, advisors usually recommend courses with easily transferable credits, so those who leave to pursue education at other institutions have a smooth transition.
Work & Life Experience Credits
Work experience credits may be given depending on the course being taken. Internship opportunities may be available to students in certain classes, and students in the nursing field may receive credit for doing Clinicals.
Typical Session Length
STC offers a wide range of courses, so your typical session length varies. If you are taking a basic semester session, either in class or online, the session will be about 16 weeks long. Minimesters are also available and can range from 5 to 14 weeks.
Class Style & Structure
Depending on the course selected, professors either verbally lecture or show videos. Most professors do require class participation and involve students in their lectures. Homework is given, but professors rarely give immense amounts of it.
Course Registration Process
Advisors will assist you in managing your degree plan, which makes the registration process rather easy. When you meet with your advisor, he or she will give you an advisement form to select courses from the STC course schedule. Once the registration worksheet is completed, you can register at campus kiosks, online, or in person. If you attend orientation on campus, you will be able to register for classes during the orientation session.