Service & Maintenance Staff
LBJ Student Center
- Albert B. Alkek Library
- Schneider Music Library
Popular Places to Chill
- Grin's Restaurant
- LBJ Student Center
- Rio Vista Park
- Sewell Park
- Tantra Coffeehouse
- Treff's Tavern
Bar on Campus
George's, the only bar on campus, is located on the first floor of the LBJ Student Center. You can reserve the bar for parties Friday through Sunday and even book your band to play there live.
Drinks aren't all that George's offers. There is a big screen TV in the main part of George's, where people can watch sports games. There are also pool and tennis tables that all students and staff can use for a small fee.
Bowling on Campus
None; all bowling is done at Sunset Bowling Lanes, but you can sign up for intramural bowling at the Rec Center.
Coffeehouse on Campus
There is a Starbucks on the first floor of the LBJ Student Center. There are also various markets around campus that offer gourmet coffee at a cheaper price.
Movie Theater on Campus
The only real movie theaters are in San Jacinto and San Marcos residence halls. However, movies are projected on big screens in various parts of campus, including Boko's lounge in the Student Center and outside at night when the weather is nice.
There has been a lot of construction going on at Texas State. The student body grows by the thousands every semester, and the administration is doing what it can to keep up with the influx of students. So far, there are new parking garages, a new dorm, a nursing building, a multipurpose education building, and an undergraduate academic center; plus, a political science building is in the works.
- Jones: Jones Dining Hall
- Shiby: Term meaning "to agree with"
- Sup bra: Hello, friend
- Wanna go float?: Do you want to go float down the river?
- Wuts good?: How are you doing?
- Flash Mob Rave: About every semester, the University radio station and the Student Organizations Council puts on a rave around midnight. It only lasts about 15 to 30 minutes because of the noise regulations, but in that half hour, people have some of the most fun. Plus, the after-parties that happen are always awesome. Look for an invite on Facebook!
- Tailgating: Tailgating is one of the most popular pre-game activities. Tons of food, people, booze, live music, various radio stations, free stuff-you'll find all of this and more at Texas State tailgating parties.
- Old Main is the mass communication building. Rumor has it that a young girl fell from the third story of Old Main, after wandering the halls and trying to get to class on time.
- Sterry Hall, nicknamed "Scary Sterry," has had lights turn on and off by themselves, as well as doors open and close on their own. Also, do NOT go into the basement-if you find it.
- There is a statue of two horses, with one horse featuring a guy on top of it. It is said that if you rub the horse's testicles, you get good luck on any test you take that day.
Favorite Things To Do
The biggest attraction at Texas State is definitely the San Marcos River. This river is crystal clear, comes from underground, and no matter how hot or cold it is outside, it stays between 72 and 74 degrees. A portion of it is actually on campus at Sewell Park. Everyone goes to the river. It is a great way to cool off on those 80-plus-degree days. You will find people at the river all of the time. Whether they're tubing with some beer, scuba diving, snorkeling, playing sand volleyball, or just laying out to get a tan, students love being at the river.
Clubs and Organizations on Campus
With all the diversity at Texas State, it's easy to find a student organization that interests you. Just by walking around the quad, you can see how active students are. There are always student organizations out there doing fundraisers or demonstrations, even giving out free stuff like T-shirts, water bottles, and beer cozies. The main problems students have in creating a new organization include getting enough students to join and keeping them there.
Student Activities Offered
- Campus ministries
- Choral groups
- Concert band
- International student organization
- Jazz band
- Literary magazine
- Marching band
- Model UN
- Music ensembles
- Musical theater
- Pep band
- Radio station
- Student government
- Student-run film society
- Symphony orchestra
Air Force ROTC: Yes
Navy ROTC: No
Army ROTC: Yes