Best Ways to Get to the Airport
- A cab ride to Oakland International costs $30-$40; to San Francisco International, $60-$70.
- BART to Airports Using BART and transferring to a local bus is the cheapest and easiest option, if you don't have a lot to carry. Oakland Airport by BART: catch the Richmond-Fremont line in the Fremont direction and get off at Coliseum. Take an Air-BART shuttle to the Oakland Airport (these leave every 15 minutes and cost $2). Buy your ticket in the station before boarding the bus (runs Monday-Saturday, 6 a.m.-11:50 p.m.; Sunday, 8:30 a.m.-11:50 p.m.). You can also take AC Transit bus #58 from the Coliseum BART to the airport (runs daily, every 20-30 minutes from 5 a.m.-12 a.m. and hourly, 12 a.m.-5 a.m.). SFO by BART: an extension has just been constructed to take you directly to SFO via BART. Get on the Daly City train at the Downtown Berkeley station, transfer at Balboa Park onto the SFO train. One-way costs about $6.
- BayPorter Express shuttles pick you up at your doorstep and run to both OAK and SFO (www.bayporter.com; $19 one-way or $32 round-trip; (877) 467-1800).
- City Express Shuttle serves Oakland and San Francisco and offer student discounts.
- Luxor services the Oakland airport ($15 with student discount, 7 a.m.- 10 p.m.).
- The easiest way to get to or from the Oakland and San Francisco (SFO) airports is to take a shuttle van, which is like a taxi, but much cheaper. Fares run from $15-$19. When taking a shuttle, be sure to call the company ahead of time to make a reservation and to confirm departure times.