Service & Maintenance Staff
Adele H. Stamp Student Union
- Hornbake Library
- McKeldin Library
Popular Places to Chill
- Adele H. Stamp Student Union
- Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center
- Eppley Recreation Center
- The Mall
Bowling on Campus
TerpZone, located in the basement of Stamp
Coffeehouse on Campus
- Coffee Bar in Stamp
- Footnotes Café at McKeldin Library
Movie Theater on Campus
Hoff Theater in Stamp
UM is recognized as a Campus Sustainability Leader on the College Sustainability Report Card. An example of the University's efforts includes when students constructed gardens on the roof of the Diner, growing produce from campus dining compost.
- Brah or Bro: A fraternity brother who fully embraces himself and his brothers as one entity superior to all others as demonstrated through prolific use of polo shirts and beer pong skills
- The CRC: Campus Recreation Center (located on North Campus)
- The Diner: Formerly known as the Ellicott Dining Hall
- Knox Boxes: Off-campus housing on Knox Road
- The Mall: McKeldin Mall
- Stamp: Stamp Student Union
- Always Look Back at Art Attack: If you were to take similar aspects of the First Look Fair and throw in a big focus on art, music, and creativity, you'll find yourself attending one of the most special events on Maryland's campus. Art Attack is very popular (when it doesn't rain), and in the past, has featured bands like George Clinton & the P-Funk All-Stars, the Beastie Boys, and Sugar Ray.
- Do You Hear What I Hear?: You can't escape it, but why would you want to? For more than 40 years, Memorial Chapel has played "Maryland, My Maryland" (which also sounds exactly like the German Christmas carol, "O, Tannenbaum") each hour, every hour. By the end of your time at Maryland, you'll at least know the first three words to the song.
- First Look Fair: Each September, the First Look Fair takes place on McKeldin Mall. It's a big event that features some of the University's many student organizations, departments and offices, College Park businesses, and campus and community service groups. It's the perfect venue to learn about opportunities that allow students to be a part of Maryland and make a contribution to the community. Don't fret if you miss out in September! Come February, there's a "Second Look Fair" that takes place in the Stamp Student Union.
- Getting Lucky: For a hint of good luck, students visit a bronze replica of Maryland's mascot, Testudo, which sits at the entrance to McKeldin Library. In addition to rubbing the turtle's nose, little gifts are also sometimes left behind to improve the chances of a student getting lucky (in class, of course).
- Going to the Chapel: Each year, more than 220 couples are wed inside UMCP's chapel, and most of them have some connection to the campus. Half of the weddings include partners that both attended Maryland.
- Stress is Lighter at the All-Nighter: Known as the campus's longest party of the year, one night in September is guaranteed to be fun-filled and jam-packed with food, entertainment, games, prizes, and more. It can be one intense night if you let loose and enjoy yourself.
- Student Gladness at Midnight Madness: The first practice of the season begins at midnight, and fans join the men's and women's basketball teams in, well, watching them practice. OK, there's more! There's also the annual men's basketball alumni game and performances by Maryland Gymkana Troupe, the Terrapin Spirit Squad, and Maryland band. Then, at midnight, the teams are introduced, and the men's team plays their first red/white scrimmage of the year. Expect lots of excitement, as it's very rewarding and entertaining. Be sure to experience this at least once, even if you're not a sports fan.
Testudo brings good luck! Students before major exams will rub his nose or leave a gift (usually food) for him.
Favorite Things To Do
The ERC is always busy-everyone loves going to the gym, and the fact that it's open until 12 a.m. six days a week makes it even more appealing. Movies at the Hoff Theater and performances from numerous comedy groups are always a big draw. The libraries are never empty, either-people never seem to have a lack of things to do around UMCP!
See a movie at the Hoff Theater, go to a comedy show, grab a coffee and chill in the Coffee Bar café, go to the ERC and work up a sweat, or go swimming and tanning in the outdoor pool at the ERC when it's nice out.
Clubs and Organizations on Campus
There are more than 500 clubs, hundreds of cultural events, fraternities and sororities, movies, speakers, concerts, and sports on campus.
Student Activities Offered
- Campus ministries
- Choral groups
- Concert band
- Jazz band
- Literary magazine
- Marching band
- Music ensembles
- Musical theater
- Radio station
- Student government
- Student-run film society
- Symphony orchestra
- Television station
Air Force ROTC: Yes
Navy ROTC: No
Army ROTC: Yes
Did You Know?
Every September, there is the two-day First Look Fair on McKeldin Mall, to introduce first-year students to all the student groups the University of Maryland has to offer.