Student Parking Lot?
Parking facilities include the Art Museum Garage, Armory Garage, Church Street Garage, East River Road Garage, Northrop Auditorium, Nolte Center Garage, and the University Office Plaza.
Freshmen Allowed to Park?
Freshmen can apply for lottery parking. But since most freshmen live in dorms, bringing a car along is not a necessity.
Approximate Parking Permit Cost
- Garage permits are $127.25 per month ($140.25 for reserved parking and $97 for evenings).
- Lot permits are $65 per month ($78 for reserved parking and $34 for evenings).
- Ramp permits are $97.25 per month ($110.25 for reserved parking and $74 for evenings).
- There is daily parking available, ranging from $2 to max of $12. Some parking lots offer free parking after certain times. There are usually special arrangements made for event parking. Check www1.umn.edu/pts/park/parkingrates.html for specifics.
Best Places to Find a Spot
- Deeper in Dinkytown or on Como-if you have a friend with an extra parking lot by their house, it is a good option.
- St. Paul campus-park in the neighborhood for free and take the Connector to your destination.
- Paid parking ramps or garages that are located in many areas across campus
Good Luck Getting a Spot Here
- University Avenue or Fourth Street-restaurant patrons and commuters park here. It's very busy!
- Metered parking all over campus-come early enough to snatch a spot.
Getting a Parking Permit
Parking at the University of Minnesota requires a permit, which can be obtained through a lottery system where a student chooses a ramp or lot or garage in which to park. Usually students get the parking they desire, but some ramps are more in demand than others. So it is better to have a back-up plan in mind. Instructions about how to apply can be found on the Parking and Transportation Services website.
Parking ServicesParking and Transportation Services
300 Transportation and Safety Building
511 Washington Ave. SE, Minneapolis
Did You Know?
- The U of M offers a car sharing/Zipcar facility. Zipcar is an on-campus car-sharing alternative to owning your own car. Wheels when you want them-for job interviews, to run errands, or to transport bulky items. The daily rates range from $8 per hour to $66 per day plus additional $35 per year membership for University students, employees, and staff. It is a 24/7 service. Other information can be found at: www1.umn.edu/pts/park/carshare.html.
- Parking is also available for mopeds and motorcycles.
- Odds are that two out of three students who apply get a parking contract.