Service & Maintenance Staff
F. P. Graham Student Union
- Davis Library
- Undergraduate Library
- Wilson Library
Popular Places to Chill
- The Pit
- The Quad
- Student Union
- The Wall
- The Yard
Coffeehouse on Campus
Yes, there are plenty to choose from-the Daily Grind inside Student Stores, Alpine Bagel Shop in the Student Union, and Starbucks in Rams Head Dining Hall.
Movie Theater on Campus
In the student union
- Down South: South Campus
- Frat Court: The area between fraternity houses where frat parties are held
- The New Union: The newer student union
- The Old Union: The old student union next to the new student union
- The Pit: The area between Lenoir and Student Stores where clubs set up tables and advertise their upcoming events
- The Quad: The lawn between class buildings where students tan, read, study, play Frisbee, and sometimes where classes meet on a nice day
- RA: Resident Adviser
- RD: Resident Director
- SA: Summer Adviser or Assistant
- UL: The Undergraduate Library, where a lot of undergrads go to study, use computers and printers, etc.
- Up North: North Campus
- Upper Quad: Area on North Campus between residence halls where students lay out, read, study, play Frisbee
- The Wall: The wall surrounding Top of Lenoir where many students chat with friends
- Halloween on Franklin Street: Every year, thousands of people from Chapel Hill, Durham, Raleigh, and other areas of the state come to Franklin Street to celebrate Halloween. Even if you don't like to dress up and join in all the Halloween festivities, at least go to Franklin Street and laugh at everyone else.
- Holi Moli: Each year in March, Hindus and Sikhs hold a celebration called Holi Moli to mark the beginning of spring. Participants wear white, gather together, and throw water and packets of colored powder on each other.
- Message Board: Students often paint the message board in the Pit to advertise their club's upcoming events.
- Rushing Franklin: As mentioned before, UNC students are known to rush to Franklin Street after a big basketball win. The largest rushes are usually when we win the NCAA Championship. This is also likely after a Duke-Carolina win, whether home or away. It's an experience nonetheless-there are bon fires and fans running crazy.
- Streaking: UNC students have created a strange tradition of streaking through libraries and the Pit around finals time. You're likely to see some streakers before you graduate from UNC.
- Tar Heel Town: Before every football game, "Tar Heel Town" is created on the quad. Kids and Chapel Hill locals who are fans of UNC football get a chance to meet and chat with Carolina football players.
- Every time a virgin walks by Silent Sam his gun fires.
- If a man and woman sit next to each other on the loveseat in McCorkle Place, they will marry each other.
- Michael Jordan wanted to purchase a house for UNC's Omegas.
- Students who drink from the old well on the first day of class will get a 4.0.
Favorite Things To Do
Students enjoy catching a movie in various halls brought by CUAB or playing pickup games of basketball or ultimate Frisbee.
Students enjoy catching a movie in various halls brought by CUAB.
Clubs and Organizations on Campus
UNC has more than 600 clubs and organizations. There are also opportunities to start clubs that the school might not have, and applying for official university recognition of a club is fairly straightforward, consisting of only a few short forms. The University has made it quite easy for students to explore their passions and interests.
Student Activities Offered
- Campus ministries
- Choral groups
- Concert band
- International student organization
- Jazz band
- Literary magazine
- Marching band
- Model UN
- Music ensembles
- Musical theater
- Pep band
- Radio station
- Student government
- Student newspaper
- Student-run film society
- Symphony orchestra
- Television station
Air Force ROTC: Yes
Navy ROTC: Yes
Army ROTC: Yes